The "over-the-edge" event for Dave occured Saturday when I took our garbage out to the dumpsters. Summer school students had just moved out and my oh my, were there ever treasures tossed in there! I came back in with a bag full of food (unopened bottle of dill pickles, almost-full bottle of nice lotion, etc., etc.) I knew these were treasures as I'd just tossed the same kind of things when we moved out of our Port Orchard home. My best find though, was a single-bed mattress cover which was in really great shape. It was at the very top of the dumpster so there was no garbage on it. I was so excited cause I've been sleeping on a twin bed the past two weeks and disliked the thought of only a thin sheet between my face and the mattress someone else had been sleeping on for a year. (Too scotch to buy one for only three week's use, as there would be no room in my luggage to haul it to China.) So I've used one of my full skirts as a mattress cover and now, at the top of the dumpster, was this marvelous find! I brought it in, filled the bathtub, and scrubbed it up. But Dave found it difficult to handle all this "garbage find" and took the dripping mattress cover I'd hung over the shower curtain rod to dry, packed it up, and walked to the neighborhood laundromat to wash it properly. What a nice husband! (Mind you, we're in twin beds, so this is my mattress cover, not his. Jonathan loaned us a few small blankets so Dave's been using one of those for his mattress cover.)
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Trash diggin': Provo-style
Dave and I are feeling like real college students, living in a low-line off-campus student apartment we found while training here in Provo, walking everywhere, including to the grocery store weighed down with bags of groceries. We have no pots or pans so we buy frozen ready-made meals. We walk to the laundromat and pump in the quarters. 
The "over-the-edge" event for Dave occured Saturday when I took our garbage out to the dumpsters. Summer school students had just moved out and my oh my, were there ever treasures tossed in there! I came back in with a bag full of food (unopened bottle of dill pickles, almost-full bottle of nice lotion, etc., etc.) I knew these were treasures as I'd just tossed the same kind of things when we moved out of our Port Orchard home. My best find though, was a single-bed mattress cover which was in really great shape. It was at the very top of the dumpster so there was no garbage on it. I was so excited cause I've been sleeping on a twin bed the past two weeks and disliked the thought of only a thin sheet between my face and the mattress someone else had been sleeping on for a year. (Too scotch to buy one for only three week's use, as there would be no room in my luggage to haul it to China.) So I've used one of my full skirts as a mattress cover and now, at the top of the dumpster, was this marvelous find! I brought it in, filled the bathtub, and scrubbed it up. But Dave found it difficult to handle all this "garbage find" and took the dripping mattress cover I'd hung over the shower curtain rod to dry, packed it up, and walked to the neighborhood laundromat to wash it properly. What a nice husband! (Mind you, we're in twin beds, so this is my mattress cover, not his. Jonathan loaned us a few small blankets so Dave's been using one of those for his mattress cover.)
The "over-the-edge" event for Dave occured Saturday when I took our garbage out to the dumpsters. Summer school students had just moved out and my oh my, were there ever treasures tossed in there! I came back in with a bag full of food (unopened bottle of dill pickles, almost-full bottle of nice lotion, etc., etc.) I knew these were treasures as I'd just tossed the same kind of things when we moved out of our Port Orchard home. My best find though, was a single-bed mattress cover which was in really great shape. It was at the very top of the dumpster so there was no garbage on it. I was so excited cause I've been sleeping on a twin bed the past two weeks and disliked the thought of only a thin sheet between my face and the mattress someone else had been sleeping on for a year. (Too scotch to buy one for only three week's use, as there would be no room in my luggage to haul it to China.) So I've used one of my full skirts as a mattress cover and now, at the top of the dumpster, was this marvelous find! I brought it in, filled the bathtub, and scrubbed it up. But Dave found it difficult to handle all this "garbage find" and took the dripping mattress cover I'd hung over the shower curtain rod to dry, packed it up, and walked to the neighborhood laundromat to wash it properly. What a nice husband! (Mind you, we're in twin beds, so this is my mattress cover, not his. Jonathan loaned us a few small blankets so Dave's been using one of those for his mattress cover.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment