Saturday, October 18, 2008

Writing class assignment: One-child policy

Dave and I have been correcting the papers our juniors in each of our writing classes turned in this week. The requirement was that they interview at least four people on the subject of China's one-child policy and write a report on their findings, concluding with a paragraph about how this survey affected their own attitude toward the policy. Reading through all the papers has been interesting for us. Most realize the policy has created problems, but they believe it's a necessary policy to be mandated by The Party.

One of Dave's male students wrote the following:
I interviewed my mother because I want to know what she thinks about the policy very much.
Me: Mom, why did you want three children?
Mother: Not three but two. I just want two chiildren. After having your brother and your sister, I was satisfied. But you just come accidentally, and we have three children now.

After hearing this I feel so lucky. I can't come to this world by a finger's breadth!

Me: I have to say thank you Mom. But you broke the law to have me. Have you been punished?
Mother: Of course. We were punished for 2000 yuan, but we never regret to have you. (This lasts for 10 minutes, because I talked something about my life with my mother.)

After my four interviews, I found that most of the people who have got more than one child didn't regret. And they consider it to be good to have many children. However, young people who haven't got a child would like to support the one child policy. Maybe this is because of the huge burden we will meet in the future.
In my opinion, we should stand by the policy both for ourselves and for our country. However it's hard to say, because I am a product of disobey of the one child policy!!

No comments: