Monday, March 2, 2009

ARE THE CHINESE HAPPY?






When Dave and I were first married, we lived in Germany (compliments of the U.S. Army). This was twenty-plus years after the war reconstruction, and Germany was thriving. But I recall our German landlord describing his visit to his brother behind the Iron Curtain in Hungary. He said, with considerable anger, that the entire land was bleak, despondent and miserable; that the influence of Communism could be seen in every dismal corner of that land. He said the contrast between Hungary and Germany was like night and day.

His description left quite a long-lasting impression with me. I believe I expected a similar atmosphere in Communist-controlled China. Not only is this a land with an official “no God” religion, but in spite of China’s advancing economic growth, the Chinese live a hard life and what we consider even sub-standard in the U.S. seems a luxury here in China. As far as the Chinese and freedom are concerned, many understand it can be dangerous to say what they really think. They are guarded in their speech. OUR CLEANING LADY, MRS. LEO, HOLDING ONE OF AMANDA'S BABIES

But day after day, the people I pass on the streets and on campus seem, for the most part, to be such a happy people. Quite honestly, the students I pass on this campus seem to radiate even more happiness than those one might observe on a U.S. campus. They usually walk in groups or pairs, laughing, chatting away, eyes dancing, faces sporting a smile, arms around each other (guys with guys and girls with girls; that’s the Chinese way). From day one I’ve loved living in the midst of this campus community. The sounds floating up to our third story apartment are sounds of friendly greetings, laughter and happy chatter.

Although I did not expect this before I moved here, it’s obvious to me that the Chinese are a happy people. Fellow BYU teacher here in Xi’an, Steve Orton said of these people, “because as with all God’s creatures, there is that Divine spark that enlightens each day and propels (them) onward to happiness.” That Divine spark definitely shines in the people of China.

[Some of these photos were taken by Steve Orton, in an article he recently wrote for Meridian Magazine entitled “Are Chinese Happy?” )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I saw this article in Meridian Magazine, I wondered if you would see it. How fun that you know the author.