Saturday, March 21, 2009

SATURDAY SHOPPING









I'm supposing some folks might tire of my delight in writing about Xi'an street scenes, but I just can't help myself. When Dave and I were out shopping with the Kimballs today, and I saw those chicken on display, heads dangling, throats sliced,flopped side by side for customer's pickins', I just couldn't resist wanting to pose by them. I still can't bring myself to buy or cook chicken here. For one thing, they're not refridgerated; just displayed all day out on the open shelves. Other scenes here are Dave posing as the bicycling cart tomato seller, and the inovative bread shelves, which are really rusted bed springs. (We did buy bread from these folks, but insisted on getting bread straight from their oven, rather than from the bread "shelves".) In the big vegetable area, Dave's hunting for pop corn and (using his dictionary)asking a woman if, in all her bags of grains and beans, she just might have a little pop corn. No luck. And lastly, strawberries are on in Xi'an now. See the fun way they're weighed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These pictures remind me of Pike's market. Only replace chicken heads with fish heads.

Anonymous said...

Ummm, how can I say this. When I was on my foreign mission, we were told not to eat strawberries because you can't effectively disinfect the outside because of the seeds. Something to consider.