Thursday, May 20, 2010

CHINA'S CRAZY ABOUT.....

....basketball!

Before we came to China, I had no idea how crazy folks are here for this sport. There are basketball courts all over campus and guys are always out playing between classes.

I'm told 7 foot Yao Ming started the craze. An only child, I've heard tales that he was bred by the government with a 6 ft 7 inch dad and 6 ft 3 inch mom cause China wanted a star. He was sent to a sports school at age six and eventually spent ten hours a day practicing. He's now in America playing for the NBA and the Chinese worship him and the sport.

Dave and I attended our first university game recently. I was really impressed with the teams. They pretty much mimic American rituals for the sport, and I liked how both teams met together in the middle of the court before tip off to join in a big, moving "rah rah" circle, then bowed to the audience. Half time entertainment cheerleaders were hep in their dance routines, dressed modestly, and one cheer team brought out a huge paper dragon to dance. (What's a Chinese occasion without the presence of a dragon?)

It was a fun afternoon.


YEO MING





No comments: