Saturday, October 25, 2008

What a week! "English Corner" and Linda's lecture on "Life in America"








Last night I spoke at a Friday night lecture arranged by student body officers for any students who wanted to come. My topic was "Life in America". The room held seats for 175 and thirty minutes before I was to speak, the room was packed with eager students. About 250 students total crammed into the room, standing in the back and sides and sitting on the floor in the front and even on the little raised stage I was on. These students are very bright and hard-working and are so eager to hear from an American. I began my talk by saying "I LOVE China!" The students immediately broke into thunderous applause; huge grins on their faces. It was such a fun evening. Using power point, I told how excited and surprised people in the United States were when we told them we were moving to China; that China is a place that intrigues many Americans who would love to come visit. Then I showed pictures of some of my ancestors, explaining why some of them came to America to illustrate how I came to be born in America. Of course I showed the Terry Family pictures showing the addition of each child into our family. As with my classes, each family photo showing an additional child added to it, brought amazement and laughter that really set the rafters ringing. It was SO funny to hear, see and feel the reaction of 250 Chinese absorbing the incomprehensible idea that in their world of one family: one child, there could be families like ours in this world. I loved going down our family picture line-up telling about the education, employment or mothering of each child-now adult. They were SO interested and receptive. The last half hour I entertained questions. Dave will be giving a lecture next month.







A student translating one of the posters on campus advertising my lecture.





Two nights before this, we were asked to come to a weekly campus "English Corner". About 200 students hang out in front (outside) of the Student Union Building every Wednesday night from 8:30 to 10 p.m. They just talk to each other in Englsh with the intent of trying to improve their English. They thought it would be so great if some native English speakers would talk with them, so they invited Dave and me. As we approached the group, Dave and I were amazed at the number of students and how excited they were to have us join them. They divided into two groups; half surrounding Dave and the other half surrounding me. I stood on a little raised area and just chatted away, entertaining questions after telling a bit about myself and my family. At 10 p.m. the student-organizer told the students it was time to quit and had to coax students to leave so Dave and I could catch our bus back to the old campus. Dave and I have a hard time grasping why their interest is so great in speaking with Americans. All I can figure is maybe it's like discovering there's life on Mars and they have a very advanced civilization and two friendly Martians have agreed to come and speak about life on their planet.


Speaking at English Corner

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Years ago, I read about an American who went to China, and it seemed people were afraid to be seen talking to him. Its wonderful to see a change in that situation.

When I was in Brazil, I found the Brazilians very eager to speak to Americans because they really like the way it sounds when we speak, and because they want to practice English with a native speaker.

Thank you for this blog. We are going to be checking it daily. China is fascinating.

Anonymous said...

for the last sentence i think it's because you have known so little about china, and welcome Terrys's journey in china ,when some day you go back you'll find out that china is not that mysterious and fearful place , we are all human beings but live in different places

Ginger said...

"Welcome Mrs. Terry to give a talk." That puts a smile on my face!