Friday, December 26, 2008

HOLY DAY HAPPINESS



During class Christmas Eve I asked if one of my students would teach me how to write “Merry Christmas” on the blackboard. So a volunteer came forward and very patiently made each stroke while I attempted to duplicate each character, stroke by stroke. The rest of the class is cheering me on and when we’re finished, I asked, “Which part says Merry and which part says Christmas?” The answer was, “None of them.” The students explained the literal translation is “Holy day happiness”. I was very touched by the Chinese wording for “Merry Christmas” and felt it reflected more genuinely what Christmas truly is.

1 comment:

Oberst.Manfred Karl Kristie von Lohengramm said...

メリークリスマス!

This is the spell of "Merry Christmas" in Japanese, and it sounds like "melikulismas", well, maybe this word was directly sound-translated by English at that time.

So, I've used my second foreign language to express it but I still wanna say, "Merry Christmas!"

PS:Maybe it is a litte late.