Tuesday, March 31, 2009

THE SEWING LADY



Every few blocks one can see a Chinese woman sitting outside in front of her treadle sewing machine with piles of customers' clothes to mend or sew. I had a couple pairs of pants I wanted taken in, so I took them to a near-by sewing lady. For $1.50 U.S. she spent an hour treadling away as I observed. This woman sews outside year-round. She was wearing four layers to keep warm, but I wondered how her numb fingers could work in the cold. While I was there other people brought her business; a button to sew on, new pants to hem up, a purse strap to mend. When she handed me my new-sized pants, she chattered at me in Chinese. I asked a near-by student to please translate. He said, "She hopes you return again so she can sew more for you." I believe I will.

1 comment:

Stan & Carla said...

Linda, We love your blog! Are you the one taking the photos? They are amazing. We love and miss you both.
Stan & Carla Palmer